SEO Copywriting and SEO Content Writing
“Everything I Learnt About SEO Copywriting, I Learnt From Jell-O and John Deere”
– Jade (Page 88)
Are you looking for local SEO help? Click here to go to the local SEO page.
What is SEO Copywriting? (Search Engine Optimisation Copywriting)
SEO copywriting is specialty writing for online content. Most often SEO copywriting is used on websites. However, SEO writing techniques are ideal for all online content.
Online content includes:
- Blogs and articles.
- Social media platforms such as Facebook.
Why is SEO Copywriting Important?
Quality SEO Copywriting increases the value of your content to search engines and humans. First and foremost, high-value content leads to better search engine rankings. Second, it engages customers. Third, it boosts conversions.
Learn about copywriting from Page 88.
What Does Jell-O and John Deere Have to do with SEO Copywriting?
The foundations of SEO copywriting date back to 1891(1). Jell-O provided dessert recipes to associate Jell-O with desserts(1). John Deere provided guides and tips to farmers to help them out(1). Today, they still offer valuable content however now it is delivered online. By giving something of value, they satisfy the most important element of SEO copywriting.
How do the above examples translate to content marketing today? We do precisely the same thing in today’s content marketing strategies.
- Content provides something of interest and value to the readership.
- Quality content increases trust and credibility.
- The result is an increase in brand awareness and increased sales.
SEO copywriting is a type of copywriting I really enjoy!
My 6 Favourite Parts of SEO Copywriting:
- Researching keywords.
- Analysing Google trends.
- Learning about the target audience.
- Delving deep into a topic.
- 5. Finding an angle that will provide value to the reader.
- 6. Seeing the final result. Well optimised copy that engages across platforms.
The Marriage of Search Engine Optimisation Copywriting and Search Engine Results Pages
Copywriting, SEO & SERPs go Hand-in-Hand
- SERP: Search Engine Results Page/s
- SEO: Search Engine Optimisation
- Copywriting: Targeted, informative, engaging and relevant writing.
Search engines continuously scan and log (crawl) every website on the internet. Besides being crawled and indexed, they are assessed. If your site is assessed as high quality, it will rank higher in organic search engine results than lower quality websites.
Quality Copywriting –> Improved SEO –> Better rankings on SERPs.
Want Some SEO Copywriting Tips?
Strategies change over time as search engines evolve how they communicate with and rank websites. As with all SEO strategies, SEO copywriting is ever-evolving. Without a doubt, doing it yourself can be a full-time job in itself.
- Ensure your site is regularly updated with quality content (copy).
- Regularly post engaging content on social media platforms.
- Use SEO friendly language.
- Include keywords and long-tail phrases in your content.
- Include keyword synonyms in your sub-headings and content.
Search engines want to provide the best possible results for every search query. However, they are reliant on data they crawl from websites. If your content isn’t in line with SEO, it may not be picked up by search engines.
As you can see on the right, Google is by far the most used search engine in Australia.
Optimise for Google results first.
- Baltes LP. Content marketing-the fundamental tool of digital marketing. Bulletin of the Transilvania University of Brasov. Economic Sciences. Series V. 2015 Jul 1;8(2):111.