Read time: 4 min
Who Wrote This Blog?
I did! Nice to meet you. My name is Jade. I prepared this blog post to give you blog ideas and inspire you to get your business blog up and running!
Successful small businesses like yours likely already have a business blog (and great blog ideas). If not, its time to get publishing!
‘How to’ Business Blog Ideas for Successful Small Businesses (Plus 11 Things to Tell Your Blog Writer)
All new business projects have their share of problems and solutions. Coming up with blog ideas and great content can be tricky but, solutions are at hand.
Problem: After a while, it gets tricky to maintain a business blog. Things come up, and the blog keeps dropping down the list, albeit if it is important.
Solution: So, you employ a freelance blog writer (such as myself) to generate blog ideas and write awesome content.
Problem: But, what do you need to tell your blog writer, so they write the type of content you want?
Solution: Below, I cover 11 things to tell your blog writer.
To Think About Before Getting Someone To Write Your Business Blog
- What is the topic?
- What is the main point you want to convey?
- What kind of angle do you want the content to have?
- How do you feel about calls to action, i.e. Hire Page 88 for content that flows smoother than a salmon heading down-stream.
- Do you want to use humour in the blog?
- How will the blog relate to readers? i.e. will the tone be conversational, or will it be informative and factual?
- Have you found content elsewhere that is along the lines of what you want or like?
- How long should the content be? For good SEO, blog content should be around 500 words.
- Do you need video or images?
- Have you considered including infographics?
- If you have blogs posted elsewhere, where are they? Blog writers will adapt to your brand’s style of writing.
You don’t need to have an answer to every question. However, the clearer you are on what you like and expect in the final piece, the better.
Pro tip: Don’t be shy about asking for a draft of the blog. You will feel reassured the content is on the right track. If it isn’t, providing feedback to your blog writer will ensure the final draft is what you want.
‘How to’ Blog Ideas
You may already have ideas for your blogs but if you are running short, here is some inspiration.
Blogs that teach people ‘how to’ do something or ‘how to’ achieve something are the most popular type of blog post.
‘How To’ Blog Ideas (Topics) Will Vary Depending on Your Business, Project or Campaign
If you are a mechanic, perhaps some ‘how to’ advice on car maintenance would be helpful to your customers. For example:
- Changing tyres or checking how much tread remains.
- Sprucing up old car interiors.
- Maintaining the engine between services.
- Choosing the best roof racks for your car.
- Checking water and oil levels and so on.
Provide information that is relevant to those who would be visiting your website.
What is the Point?
If you are publishing regular blog posts, you are likely looking to improve your website’s search result visibility. It also indicates that you want to inform your customers or readers and connect with them.
What needs further clarification is if there are any other motivations. For example:
- Do you want to drive more traffic to a specific product or service page?
- Would you like to promote a special?
- Do you want to become an authority on a particular topic – which would mean valuable, researched information?
So, the point may be to increase the chances of being found in Google searches and promote a new product. The topic is how that goal will be effectively delivered.
What Was my Goal With This Blog Post?
As my website has only recently gone live, I need to build up authority in the eyes of Google. As such, I need to publish regular blogs that are informative and not too ‘salesy’. I don’t like pushy sales-people, so my blogs will never be in that sphere.
I need people to:
- Find my blogs and;
- Be interested in the content enough to scroll to the bottom of the page. Thanks for being down here!
As a result of you scrolling down this far, Google would be giving me a tick for providing content that was engaging enough to prevent you from immediately exiting my blog. Thus, reducing my bounce rate. Over time, it will help to build authority and increase my Google search rankings.
If you would like to learn more about how to promote your business online and build a great online presence, then contact me. I’ll be glad to help you out!
Bookmark the Page 88 blog page and visit every week for a new blog to guide you in your blog writing, SEO copywriting, article tips and more.
Learn even more about blog article writing and what I can do to help you.